Saturday, August 10, 2013

GILAS PILIPINAS -Not just about winning the game

By: Roel Sibayan

Considering the game last night between our very own Gilas Pilipinas and South Korea created an intense excitement and entertainment to the spectators, I rarely watch basketball game for the last 5 years, but last night’s game made me feel and remember during the time of the Finals game of Barangay Ginebra during the 90’s, especially when Basketball living Legend and former Senator Robert “Jawo” Jaworski (a.k.a. Big J) was closed-up by the TV camera, it brought me back to the feeling of the “Never Say Die “spirit of Jaworski to his boys. My subconscious pictured the crowd noise, the suspense of back-ground music, the shouting and complaining coaches on the side-court, the stupid and unacceptable calls of the referees, deadlock scores, commercial breaks, and the final last two minutes of the fourth quarter.
But then again, last night’s game was great. Gilas made a fantastic game, although the South Korean team likewise performed a great play, still we can never underestimate them. It was indeed a remarkable play for the Gilas, shooting guard Jimmy Alapag’s three pointers were thrown like a bomb, Jayson Castro’s lay-up confused the South Korea’s big men of - where did it came from? This is where the viewers will see the difference between the height-advantage and the speed. Almost 60% of the entire game is running game, because set-up plays were most likely less better if your opponent are big guys and has more height advantage.  
Tonight’s game with the strong team Iran will become another level of thrill and excitement, and the fans are about to know, who will really Rocks the 2013 FIBA. But the viewers should be reminded that this is not just about winning the game only, this is about how a TEAM work together to achieve their goal. This will serves as a reminder and inspiration for the Filipinos to work together as one team, one nation, and one country towards success. Go Gilas!  
“The basketball team is like five fingers on your hand. If you can get them all together, you have a fist. That’s how I want you to play”Mike Krzyzewsky
“There is no such thing as perfect basketball player, and I don’t believe there is only one greatest player either” Michael Jordan
“I don’t know how tall I am or how much I weigh. Because I don’t want anybody to know my identity. I’m like a superhero. Call me Basketball Man”LeBron James

No comments:

Post a Comment